At Apple Grove Dental and Orthodontics, we are here to serve the whole family!
Orthodontic Treatment for Kids
All Kids Should Have Their First Orthodontic Check-up By Age 7.
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that all children have their first evaluation by an orthodontic specialist no later than the age of 7. By this age, your child’s jaws are developing and adult teeth have started to emerge to a point where subtle problems can be identified. Not all children need orthodontic treatment at this age, but early and continued monitoring will help to identify and prevent any developing issues.
Early orthodontic treatment is commonly referred to as “interceptive” or “Phase 1” treatment. While there are many orthodontic problems that can be treated once all of the adult teeth have come in, there are some problems that could become more serious if left untreated.
The goal of early treatment is to intercept the developing problem, eliminate the cause, guide the growth of the facial and jaw bones, and provide adequate space for the emerging adult teeth. Patients who go through early treatment will often require a second phase of treatment after all of the adult teeth have come in to move those teeth into their best position.
At your child’s first visit with Dr. Isaac, a thorough evaluation will be completed. There are three possible outcomes from the evaluation.
- Your child’s jaws are developing normally and teeth are coming into the mouth in the proper position. No treatment is needed.
- A problem is developing, but it is too early to treat. We will have your child on an observation schedule until he/she is at the optimal age for early treatment.
- A problem is present and your child would benefit from early interceptive orthodontic treatment.
Your child’s orthodontic evaluation and ongoing monitoring will identify any problems that may develop in growing children:
Image from American Association of Orthodontists
Some of the benefits of Early Interceptive Orthodontic treatment are:
- Guiding proper jaw growth
- Lowering the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Correcting harmful oral habits such as thumb sucking
- Improving self-esteem and build confidence with your child’s beautiful smile
- Creating a more pleasing arrangement of teeth, lips, and face
Orthodontic Treatment for Teens
The teenage years are the most common time for orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontic treatment during the adolescent years (Ages 11-17) is usually the most common time for orthodontic treatment since most of the permanent teeth are present by this time. Some teens may have had early interceptive treatment and are now following it up with full braces or Invisalign. The purpose of orthodontic treatment is to create a healthy, functional bite, which is a combination of both tooth alignment and jaw position. Orthodontic treatment will help your teen bite and chew, and contribute to clear speech. Straight teeth are also less prone to decay, gum disease, and injury.
Some common problems that Dr. Isaac will look for in your teen are:
- Early, late, or irregular loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty with chewing or biting
- Crowding or extra space between teeth
- Jaws that shift or make sounds
- Teeth that meet abnormally or not at all
- Jaws and teeth that are out of proportion to the rest of the face
- Protrusion teeth (sometimes known as “buck teeth”)
It is important to have early diagnosis as some problems that are left untreated can have a lasting impact on your teen’s oral and overall health. Many bite problems that are left untreated can become more difficult to correct as your teen gets older. If you notice any of these problems, please schedule a complimentary smile consult with Dr. Isaac as this could be an indication that your teen would benefit from orthodontic treatment.
A healthy, functional bite can also have significant emotional benefits. An attractive smile can lead to an increase in self-confidence and self-esteem as orthodontic treatment brings teeth, lips, and face into proportion. Your teen also has many great options in addition to traditional metal braces that were not available in the past. Some options that allow orthodontic treatment to be more discreet are ceramic braces, InBrace (braces that go on the backside of teeth), and Invisalign Teen. When you schedule your teen with Dr. Isaac, you will have a discussion on which option is the best for your child.
Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
It is never too late for you to have a smile that you love.
Our team here at Apple Grove Dental and Orthodontics want to be able to provide you with a confident smile! Did you know that today, one in four orthodontic patients is an adult? You are not alone!
Adults are seeking orthodontic treatment for many reasons. Do any of these most common reasons apply to you?
- Confidence – Orthodontic treatment can take care of those crooked teeth or spaces that you’ve been self conscious of for years. We want you to have the confidence and pride that come with straight teeth and a great smile!
- Oral Health – Misaligned teeth can lead to more serious problems such as tooth decay, gum disease, difficulty chewing, or even bone loss around the teeth. Orthodontic treatment creates a better bite which makes teeth fit better and decreases the risk for future dental problems.
- Shifting – You may have had orthodontic treatment when you were younger and retainers may have gotten lost along the years. Do not worry! It happens to a lot of people. The great news is that a refresh to your smile will usually not take as long as the first round of orthodontic treatment you had when you were younger.
- Restorative Dentistry – Missing adult teeth can lead to changes in your bite. Orthodontic treatment is often necessary to move teeth into their proper position to allow your dentist to restore your bite with implants and/or bridges.
- Cosmetic Dentistry – Cosmetic dentistry often requires the help of orthodontics to move the teeth into the perfect position to make space for veneers, crowns, and/or implants. Having the proper spacing allows your dentist to create an esthetic smile that brings harmony to your face.
Orthodontic treatment is just as effective for adults as it is for adolescents. Healthy teeth can be moved regardless of age. With today’s technological advances, there are many options to make orthodontic treatment more discreet. Dr. Isaac will sit down with you to discuss your goals. Together, we will create the perfect treatment plan for you. Ask Dr. Isaac if you are the right candidate for ceramic braces, InBrace (lingual braces), and/or Invisalign!
We are so excited that you have taken this first step in your smile journey and look forward to meeting you! Click here to schedule your FREE Smile Consult or call us today!